March 20, 2019
I’m working on deploying an Aggregate 2.0 instance to Kubernetes in the cleanest possible way, and documenting my progress in these lab notes.
Now that I know the config magic I’ve worked on in the past couple posts is working, I can try spinning up and connecting to a real database!
Our existing ODK installation uses MySQL, although this is no longer recommended and fresh installs should use PostgreSQL. I don’t believe in managing my own databases, so I’m going to use Azure Database for MySQL. Thankfully, it’s pretty easy to launch a database using Azure Database Service - I won’t walk through that process here.
I do, however, have to login to the database and initialize it. I initially struggled to find the right command to connect, often running into an error such as:
ERROR 9002 (28000): The connection string may not be right. Please visit portal for references.
Thanks to StackOverflow, I learned the correct connection command for
mysql is actually:
mysql -u email@example.com -h odk-staging.mysql.database.azure.com -p
My mistake was that the username must be
firstname.lastname@example.org — including the hostname.
I also ran into an issue with my IP address:
ERROR 9000 (HY000): Client with IP address '$MYIP' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server.
And had to manually navigate to the “Connection Security” tab in the Azure Portal and add my IP to the whitelist.
Now that I’m in, I can simply execute:
CREATE DATABASE aggregate; GRANT ALL ON aggregate.* TO odk@'%' IDENTIFIED BY '$password'; FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
This is a bit different from the command in the ODK Help guide - I learned through a bunch of trial and error that it is unnecessary to create a MySQL user and a database-scoped user for “aggregate” - I spent an hour figuring out why I couldn’t connect when it turns out that global users and database-scoped users have their own passwords!
I can now update my
k8s.yml with the proper connection details. These can be easily found in the “Connection Strings” link in the Azure Portal.
Because I’m using the MySQL connection type, I also have to include a custom
odk-settings.xml in my
k8s.xml. My final
k8s.yaml at this point looks something like this.
Another stumbling block I ran into: apparently Java does not like the symlinks I created in the previous step, and when loading the symlinked properties files threw
Java.io.FileNotFound errors. This is unfortunate for a number of reasons, but is begrudgingly fixed by
cping the values from the mounted directory into the config directory, instead of symlinking them.1
Finally, it looks like ODK is connecting to the database and making tables. Next, I need to figure out how to access the service locally…
This is less than ideal because it means that secrets aren’t stored on tmpfs volumes.↩︎